Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Qualify for Federal Work Study? Get Paid for Your Research.

Main content start

Do you qualify for federal work study and are conducting research at Stanford during the academic year? You are able to get PAID for your research at no cost to your lab. To get started earning money for your lab work, review the information below and direct your PI to resources provided by the Stanford Financial Aid Office.


Students elligible for federal work study receive wages that are provided by federal government and the Provost's Office. To get started, have your PI post the job on Stanford's Handshake platform. You apply to this position, and your PI will "officailly hire you." Meanwhile, your PI should submit an FWS Authorization Request. The Office of Financial Aid will process the request and notify you and your PI about your maximum elligibility through federal work study. Depending on the structure of the original job posting, you may have to log the hours that you work, but your pay will be handled by the Officie of Financial Aid and the federal government up to your maximum eligibility. 


Not sure if you qualify for federal work study? Email to find out.